- Checkpoint 13.6 Group related links, identify the group (for user agents), and, until user agents do so, provide a way to bypass the group. [Priority 3].
- Screen readers did not have features to navigate headers.
- § 1194.22 (o) A method shall be provided that permits users to skip repetitive navigation links.
- Screen readers begin to include web page navigation features like navigating headers.
||XHTML Role Attribute Module (Working Draft)
||First introduction of landmark region roles:
- secondary (later changed to "complementary" in ARIA)
- Success Criteria 2.4.1 Bypass Blocks: A mechanism is available to bypass blocks of content that are repeated on multiple Web pages. (Level A)
- JAWS Screen Reader + Some Specific Version of Microsoft Internet Explore is the default standard for accessibility.
- VoiceOver for macOS is available.
- ARIA is first standard to define how browsers should communicate web page information to accessibility APIs for macOS, Windows and Linux
- ARIA defines landmark region roles, although implementation in browsers has been available for years.
- Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome lead browser efforts to implement ARIA standard.
- JAWS and NVDA for Windows, VoiceOver for macOS and Orca for Linux/GNOME become the dominate screen readers.