The SkipTo Script is a replacement for the old school “Skip To Main” link, (so please use it as such)! The SkipTo script creates a drop-down menu consisting of the links to important landmarks and headings on a given web page. Once installed and configured, the menu makes it easier for keyboard, voice recognition and screen reader users to quickly jump to the desired location by simply choosing it from the list of options.
Benefits of SkipTo
- All users can get an outline of the major content areas on the page.
- Screen reader users can get a higher level navigation menu without having to use the screen reader landmark and header navigation commands which typically include longer lists of lower level headings and less used landmarks.
- Keyboard only users can more efficiently navigate to content on a page.
- Speech recognition users can use the menu to more efficiently navigate to content on a page.
Give It A Try
- SkipTo is used in this website, and is the “Skip To Content” button on the top of the page.
- SkipTo information on installation and configuration.
Use the CDN reference to the script, to make sure you have the latest version:
This project is collaboration between the DRES Accessible IT Group in the College of Applied Health Sciences at the University of Illinois and the accessibility team at PayPal.